Visa & Residence Permit


The citizens of 78 recognized countries do not require a visa to enter the country (a list of countries is available at:

Citizens of other countries need to apply for a Schengen visa or a National visa at Diplomatic Missions or Lithuanian Consulates. There will be a charge for the issue of a visa.

Types of visas: 

  • Schengen visa for visits of less than three months
  • National visa (D) for visits of between three months and a year.

If you are a citizen of a country that requires a visa, you should apply for a National visa (D). With this visa, you will be granted entry into Lithuania and you will be permitted to remain in the country for a longer period than three months. A National visa (D) may be single entry or multiple entries and will be issued for a period not exceeding one year.

A National visa for a single entry (D) is issued to a foreign national who has been granted a permit of temporary or permanent residence in the Republic of Lithuania.

A National visa for a multiple entry (D) is issued if:

  • you are a foreign national (non-EU) student arriving in the Republic of Lithuania for studies according to international student exchange programmes or the student exchange programmes drawn up by a higher education institution operating in the Republic of Lithuania and a foreign Higher Education institution.
  • you are a foreign national (non-EU) student admitted to study at a higher education institution registered and operating in the Republic of Lithuania.

Information on the documents required to apply for a visa is available at:

Temporary Residence Permit

If you are you coming to study from a country not belonging to the European Union, you will need to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit as soon as you arrive in Lithuania. The permit gives a foreign national the right to live temporarily in Lithuania for a stated period. With this document, you will be able to select a residence, change it, leave the country and return while the permit for temporary residence is valid.

If you change your place of residence, you must notify the immigration office or the public police division at a territorial police division. Also, if you leave Lithuania for a period of more than six months you must inform the authorities of this.

A permit for temporary residence in Lithuania is issued for a period of one or two year, but it may be issued for a shorter period as well. Anyone of Lithuanian origin and foreign nationals who have retained the right to citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania can be issued a permit for temporary residence for a period of five years.

More information on residence permits in Lithuania is available at: