Health Care & Insurance

Health Care

At LSU a first aid doctor may be consulted during working hours in case of sudden health problems or minor pains. The LSU doctor will prescribe medicine or refer you to another doctor. Contact the International Relations Office or your mentor in case of illness and we will take you to the doctor.

In cases of accident or emergency, the First Aid Unit (Skubios pagalbos skyrius) at Kaunas University Hospital provides first aid to the foreigners. Emergency telephone number is 112.

Health Insurance

All international students are supposed to have health insurance valid in Lithuania for the study period which can be obtained in the student’s home country or from a Lithuanian insurance company upon arrival.

Students from EU/EEA countries are not required to have any special health insurance. European health insurance card (EHIC) confirming that a student has EU health insurance is valid in Lithuania. The EHIC holders can receive medical care provided by general practitioners or specialists and hospital treatment in institutions that have an agreement with the Territorial Health Insurance Fund, and subsidised medicines prescribed for out-patient treatment.

For more information please visit the website

Students from non EU countries applying for visa have to prove to the migration office that they have a valid health insurance. Please pay attention to the essential things that must be indicated in your insurance policy:

  • guarantee the coverage of costs and expenses of the emergency medical aid, which may occur due to the foreigner’s return to the foreign state due to health issues (transportation, including the escort of a personal health care expert (experts)), as defined in the Law on Health System of the Republic of Lithuania;
  • Reimbursement of the expenses that may arise due to the return of the foreigner to a foreign state for health reasons (transportation, including escort of a personal health care specialist (specialists);
  • Number of health insurance contract (policy);
  • Information about the insurance company (name, address of registered office, telephone and fax numbers);
  • Full name of insured person;
  • The amount of health insurance contract (not less than €30000 applying for National D visa, sum insured – EUR 6,000 for applying for Temporary Residence Permit);
  • Duration of health insurance contract (at least until the end of study period);
  • Territorial coverage of health insurance contract (policy);
  • Non-insured events (risks not covered).