Lithuanian Sports University (LSU), founded in 1934, is a specialised public higher education institution that has developed its unique traditions in sport, leisure and health sciences.
With its mission to contribute to the sustainable development of society through international-level research and academic excellence, LSU is known as a leading academic and research centre in sports science in the Baltic Sea region. Starting with the enrolment of 100 students, the LSU has developed and expanded over the years and decades into an institution with nearly 2000 students.
The LSU offers 19 degree study programmes at all three study cycles (8 undergraduate, 9 Master’s and 2 PhD), mainly in sport science, where studies, research and practice are closely interconnected. Among the LSU graduates, there are many distinguished scientists, world-renowned coaches, famous athletes, and prominent public figures.
A great number of the LSU students and graduates have become champions and prize-winners of the Olympic Games, world and European championships, among them are the twice European boxing champion Algirdas Šocikas, the winner of the Olympic gold medal and world basketball champion Modestas Paulauskas, the winners of the Olympic gold medals discus thrower Virgilijus Alekna. and basketball players Voldemaras Chomičius and Rimantas Kurtinaitis.
To become one of the leading universities of sports, physical education, rehabilitation (physiotherapy) and health sciences in Europe, and the best in this area in the Baltic Sea Region.
By the year 2017, the LSU‘s uniqueness in sport, physiotherapy and health promotion, and appropriate application of sports science in studies and innovations will have ensured our position of a leading sports, physiotherapy and health science university in the Baltic Sea Region.
Promote coherent progress of the society, and be useful to it providing exclusive international level research and studies in sports science.
- Respect for the exclusive knowledge, ensuring the unity of science and education, development of ongoing progress.
- Thorough promotion of new ideas, initiatives, innovations, professionalism and leadership.
- Accessibility and quality assurance of academic services for Lithuanian and foreign schoolchildren and students, the community of employees and seniors as well as business and public sector institutions.
- Promotion of active dialogue with national and foreign partners.
- Teamwork based on mutual respect, tolerance, competence and trust.
- Promotion, development and testimony of respect for healthy lifestyle and Olympic ideas.
- Promotion of citizenship and patriotism.